Thursday, April 30, 2015

Flashback to high school today...

 I finally treated myself to an iced white mocha this morning and the barista said I looked so happy to have caffeine. I've been limiting myself to a 2 cups of coffee a week because too much caffeine gives me a headache but just the right amount will give me a little extra energy when I need it.

This morning at 8 am, I spent four hours in lab and performed column chromatography in order to separate an unknown compound. The mixture contained several colored components and as they distinctly separated throughout the column, the red, orange and yellow hues were so pretty to look at.

The procedure for the lab was long in comparison to previous labs and I couldn't help but think back to four years ago in high school when I voluntarily took a biotechnology class. Someone was surprised that I was able to take that class at a public high school...(Shout out to my dad who worked hard to ensure I could go to a great public school, and to my mom for supporting these decisions.)

I was feeling so happy to be able to complete the lab procedure that I sent a message to my teacher, thanking her for all her hard work. Later in the day I came across this list of random acts of kindness and thanking a teacher was #13 on this wonderful list. What a great coincidence.

The weather feels pretty hot, at almost 80 degrees, and it's the first day that really feels so close to summer. While walking back home in the heat, there was a small street market going on and I noticed people huddling around tables set up with books. I browsed around and picked up an easy read just for the heck of it. I haven't "read for fun" in quite some time and I can't wait to sit back, relax and enjoy the book in this SoCal heat. 

My challenge for you today is to think of a teacher or someone who has made a positive impact on you. Really think about it...

Send a message to that person and let them know the impact they have had on your life. When was the last time you were able to send some heartfelt thanks to someone special? Do it today! :)

Link to the list:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/101-easy-ideas-for-random-acts-of-kindness#.rqO6nVjBO

No comments:

Post a Comment